Captain America’s shield is round because his original shield was thought too similar to the costume of a rival publisher’s superhero, The Shield.
2. After Punisher died, he was recruited by his family’s guardian angel (who had failed the family when they were gunned down) to be heaven’s assassin.
3. Squirrel Girl is a mutant with squirrel-like features and the ability to communicate with squirrels. In her first appearance, she managed to defeat Dr. Doom with the help of her squirrels and saved Ironman, who she was trying to impress.
4. According to Stan Lee, one of the reasons Spiderman wears a mask is so his enemies can’t see when he’s afraid.
5. In a controversial story T’Challa was able to put the Silver Surfer (one of the most powerful beings in the Marvel Universe) into a chokehold. The Surfer actually had difficult time getting out of it.
The X-Men Evolution cartoon was strongly influenced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The somewhat infamous dance Kitty and Rogue perform in “Spykecam” was a reference to the Buffy episode “Bad Girls.”
7. Many of Marvel’s Asgardians are based on Norse mythology, but the Warriors Three Fandral, Hogun, and Volstagg are based on Errol Flynn, Charles Bronson, and Shakespeare’s Falstaff.
8. Moon Knight carves crescents into the foreheads of repeated offenders, marking them not only as criminals, but as victims of Moon Knight’s rage.
9. When Thor speaks with the ‘all-tongue’ anyone who listens to him will hear him in their native language.
10. X-Men No. 1 published in 1991, is the world’s biggest selling comic book. It sold close to 8 million comics.
Marvel has had multiple characters called Captain Marvel because if they don’t keep publishing a book with that tile, DC will claim the trademark for its character for the same name.
12. In the early 90s The Fantastic Four was temporarily comprised of Wolverine, The Hulk, Ghost Rider, and Spiderman.
13. Marvel used to publish an annual swimsuit special featuring its heroes.
14. Carnage is so powerful that Spiderman once had to make a truce with venom to defeat him.
15. Godzilla, Transformers, Conan the Barbarian and Fu Manchu have all been part of Marvel Universe, until their license agreements lapsed.
Shatterstar is his own grandfather. Longshot is also his own grandfather. They are each other’s father and son. It’s weird.
17. The shapeshifter Mystique is the mother of Nightcrawler, but writer Chris Claremont previously intended her to be his father.
18. T’Challa is the primary funder of The Mutantes Sans Frontières; an organization dedicated to the protection of mutant rights. It also funds the X-Men’s activities.
19. In Pryde of the X-Men (the pilot for a never realized X-Men Animated Series), Wolverine was improperly dubbed with an Australian accent. Since Australian stuff was popular at the time, the error wasn’t corrected and it was instead suggested to change Wolverine’s nationality in the comic’s continuity.
20. Marvel created Spider-Woman just to secure the trademark for her name. In the 70’s Filmnation had a cartoon called Tarzan/Batman Adventure Hour and would use new characters to avoid licensing fee. Marvel heard that an upcoming character was going to be named Spider-Woman, so in response, they rushed out Marvel Spotlight #32 and secured the trademark.
21Man-Thing & Swamp Thing
Marvel’s Man-Thing and DC’s Swamp Thing debuted within weeks of each other back in 1971. Man-Thing co-creator Gerry Conway and Swamp Thing co-creator Len Wein were roommates at the time.
22. Gambit possesses a strong and irresistible hypnotic charm, giving him influence over sentient beings; leading them to believe what he says and agree with his suggestions.
23. Peter Parker can hack Tony Stark’s technology. He once hacked into Stark Industries to override the control command on suit Tony gave him. When he was in college his IQ score was equal to Reed Richards when he was the same age.
24. Jean Grey has died at least 16 times, a testament to the fact characters never stay dead in comics.
25. Since the death of his mentor, The Ancient One, Doctor Strange has held the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme and Guardian of the Universe.