Stanley Kubrick used lenses commissioned by NASA for the Apollo moon landings while filming his Victorian masterpiece, ‘Barry Lyndon,’ allowing him to capture scenes lit only by candlelight.
2. After filming the freeway scenes for The Matrix: Reloaded, the filmmakers instead of disposing of the set, chose to donate it, in pieces, to charity in Mexico to be turned into low-cost housing
3. During the filming of Star Trek (2009), Zachary Quinto could not manage to properly do the Vulcan salute. Eventually, J.J. Abrams had to glue his fingers together in order for Quinto to do it correctly.
4. During the filming of Django Unchained, Leonardo DiCaprio stopped mid-scene because he was having "a difficult time" using so many racial slurs. Samuel L. Jackson then pulled him aside telling him, "motherfu*ker, this is just another Tuesday for us."
5. Thora Birch was 16 at the time she shot her topless scene in ‘American Beauty.’ Being classified as a minor, her parents had to approve her brief topless scene in the movie. They and child labor representatives were on the set for the shooting of the scene.
During the filming of 'Cabin Fever,' Rider Strong decided to explore the forest alone after a shoot, still in his gruesome makeup. He came across a group of schoolgirls on a field trip, who were horrified--at first. When they subsequently recognized him from 'Boy Meets World,' he had to escape from the fangirls.
7. Charles Bronson, Britain's most violent prisoner, actually shaved his trademark mustache off so Tom Hardy could wear it during the filming of "Bronson", which was based on his life in prison.
8. The only time White Castle made vegetarian Sliders was for filming 'Harold and Kumar' because Kal Penn is a vegetarian.
9. Actress Tallulah Bankhead was infamous for not wearing underwear. During the filming of Lifeboat (1944), the crew complained about her flashing them when she had to climb a ladder. Director Alfred Hitchcock reportedly quipped that he didn't know if it was “a matter for wardrobe or hairdressing.”
10. During the filming of ‘Caligula’, Malcolm McDowell took the entire production crew out to dinner to celebrate an English football win against Italy. At the end of the lavish meal, he claimed to not have enough money and stuck the film's choreographer with the bill.
11The African Queen
While filming The African Queen (1951) in the Congo, everyone on the crew became very ill with dysentery from drinking the water—everyone, that is, except Humphrey Bogart, who only drank whiskey.
12. While filming Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, Shia LaBeouf invested $20,000 in the stock market and ended up making more than $400,000.
13. The working title for "Snakes on a Plane" was changed to "Pacific Air Flight 121" during filming, but Samuel L. Jackson insisted that they change it back. He later said, "That's the only reason I took the job: I read the title."
14. The scar over Sean Bean's left eye was given to him by Harrison Ford, who accidentally struck him with a meat hook whilst filming a scene in 'Patriot Games'.
15. During the filming of "Blazing Saddles," a man walked into a scene of the movie, who wasn't part of the cast or crew. Director Mel Brooks decided to leave him in the movie for comical effect.
16The Breakfast Club
While filming The Breakfast Club, Judd Nelson (‘Bender’) used to stay in character off camera, and tormented the other cast members, particularly Claire, played by Molly Ringwald.
17. Arnold Schwarzenegger wore outrageous purple Boardshorts whilst filming the bar brawl in 'Terminator 2'. He hoped the stunned reactions of the patrons would create the impression that his character was well-endowed.
18. During the filming of Snow Buddies (an ‘Air Bud’ spinoff), five puppies died.
19. While filming Rocky IV, Dolph Lundgren punched Sylvester Stallone's chest so hard, his heart slammed against his breastbone, causing it to swell and his systolic blood pressure shot to over 200. Filming was halted as Stallone was flown to a nearby hospital and spent eight days in intensive care.
20. The ‘40-Year-Old Virgin’ was almost forced to stop filming by Universal Pictures after five days of shooting, allegedly due to concerns that the physical appearance of Steve Carell's character resembled that of a serial killer.
To sustain his energy levels, Bruce Lee used to take small glass vials of Royal Jelly (a milky secretion made by worker honeybees). Kareem Abdul-Jabbar recalled that during the filming of ‘The Game of Death’ that Lee would frequently open one of those little vials and consume its contents.
22. Tammy Lynn Leppert, the blond actress who distracted Manny in the movie 'Scarface', vanished shortly after filming. She hasn't been seen or heard from since.
23. In the movie 'The Grey', during the filming of an emotional scene in which Liam Neeson's character pens a letter to his faraway wife, director Joe Carnahan urged Neeson to write the letter to his deceased wife, actress Natasha Richardson.
24. During the filming of the movie Titanic, an angry crew member put PCP in James Cameron’s soup, sending him and 50 others to the hospital.
25. The filming of 'The Godfather' was disrupted by an actual Mafia member, Joe Colombo. Producer Al Ruddy met with him and reviewed the script, striking the word "Mafia" completely from the movie. Colombo and his pals also managed to elbow their way into casting and ended up as extras in the film.